A student visa is a document that allows you to enter Germany. For international students, getting this visa is of paramount importance.
Applying for a student visa can be a demanding process. It often becomes a test of patience and endurance. With this in mind, it’s important that you know the basics to avoid future nuisances.
The application process differs depending on your citizenship and home country. But there are general steps and requirements you should follow.
Here’s a guide on how to apply for a student visa to study in Germany:
Who Needs a Student Visa in Germany?
The student visa is a crucial document for most international students. However, certain countries are exempt from this requirement.
Students who are citizens in EU countries only need their national IDs to enter Germany. Upon arrival in Germany, EU students must register their address. The Resident Registration Office or Einwohnermeldeamt conducts this process.
Other students also don’t need a student visa to enter Germany. They must simply register their addresses within 90 days of arriving in the country. These are students from the following countries:
- New Zealand
- Republic of Korea
- San Marino
- El Salvador
Non-EU students and students who were not from any of the countries listed above must get a student visa. You must apply for a student visa in the German Embassy or Consulate in your country.
Different Types of German Student Visa
There are three different types of student visas:
- Student Visa – This is for students who will pursue a full-time degree in Germany. This visa is valid for three months, enough time for you to get your residence permit. This permit allows you to stay in Germany for the duration of your studies.
- Student Applicant Visa – This visa is for students who want to apply at a German university in person. You won’t get permission to study in Germany with this visa.
- Language Course Visa – Get this visa if you’ll take a German language course.
General Document Requirements for a Student Visa
Some document requirements are nation-specific. It’s best to check what other documents you need based on your country.
In general, you must present the following to the German Embassy or Consulate:
- Duly completed student visa application form
- A valid passport and two photocopies of it
- Birth certificate
- Language requirements
- Letter of acceptance (Student Visa)
- Application confirmation (Student Applicant Visa)
- Proof of funds
- Three recent passport size photographs
General Steps in Applying for a Student Visa
Here’s a quick walkthrough on applying for a German student visa:
- Find the Germany Embassy or Consulate in your home country
- Inquire about specific document requirements
- Identify the exact procedures to follow
- Secure a student visa appointment visa the German Embassy’s website
- Prepare all documents required for the visa you’ll apply for
- Prepare for the student visa interview and pay all application fees
A student visa is an essential document that allows foreign students to enter Germany. To find more steps on how to study in Germany, go through our resources here at MSM Unify.